I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream … at least occasionally during the summer season. MOXIE Nutritionist, Cory LeDoux RDN/LDN/CPT offers a healthier scoop on a summertime favorite.
Balanced and Dairy Free for the Uber Clean Eater
My top choice is Halo Top, because it has quality ingredients, and its sugar, fiber, protein ratio is spot on. Arctic Zero is the runner up and the best dairy free option is So Delicious Dairy Free. So Delicious offers a complete line of dairy-free frozen desserts made from cashew milk, coconut milk, almond milk, or soymilk. So Delicious Dairy Free is plant-based and certified vegan, the products are non-GMO and never contain any artificial ingredients.
Craft Selection for the Foodie
For a luxury, craft selection, try High Road for its minimal, high quality ingredient list. High Road Craft Ice Cream started in Atlanta as a group of chefs who made ice cream for other chefs to serve in restaurants, hotels, and resorts. Now a James Beard Award Winner, the focus at High Road is great flavor and luscious texture. If you are a food enthusiast, High Road is a must try.
Classic Ice Cream for the Traditionalist
If you are looking for no frills, good old traditional ice cream, you have a couple of choices. Two brands have minimal, non-GMO or organic ingredients, but this varies among flavors, so you will have to read the ingredients list. Rule of thumb: the fewer ingredients, the better. Publix Greenwise Organic and Häagen-Dazs Vanilla are two traditional ice cream choices. Unfortunately, popular brands like Blue Bell, Ben & Jerry’s and Breyers did not make my list.
Publix Greenwise (specific flavors)
My all-time favorite is no doubt Häagen-Dazs. Häagen-Dazs is made with minimal, non-GMO ingredients and it is rich and creamy with lots of flavor, the way ice cream is meant to be!
Although real ice cream is technically a cheat food, because of the high amounts of sugar, it can be enjoyed occasionally as long as you stick to the actual serving size. I would recommend following the 80/20 Rule and enjoying an ice cream cheat on a day you are more active such as a workout day apposed to a rest day.
The 80/20 Rule is about staying focused and on track 80% of the time and indulging (within reason) the other 20% of the time. Life is about enjoying the sweeter things in life, so make your ice cream cheat count with real ice cream that is made with real whole food ingredients. Some “healthier” brands have been stripped down of anything resembling food, so remember to read the ingredient list.
My Frozen Kefir or Yogurt Treat
• Choose a kefir or no sugar added yogurt and freeze for about 30 minutes.
• Add 4-5 tablespoons of whipped cream. The real stuff is always better (cool whip is terrible) and usually has only 1 gram of sugar per tablespoon.
• Top with fresh organic berries.
If you’d like help with personal training, de-cluttering your diet or meal planning please contact MOXIE to schedule a nutritional consultation or personal training session. I enjoy working with individuals and small groups to achieve their weight loss goals through nutritional support and personal training.
Cory LeDoux RDN/LDN/CPT
DISCLAIMER: The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images and information, contained on or available through this web site is for general information purposes only.