How to get your sweet fix without the guilt on August 4th, National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day:
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons coconut oil (if your coconut oil is a little melty, put it in the fridge for about 10-
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons natural almond butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer or using a stand mixer, beat together the fat and sugar at medium speed until well combined, about 1 minute. If you use coconut oil, it may not come together easily. If that’s the case, use your hands to combine it and then beat another 20 seconds.
- Beat in the almond butter and vanilla extract on medium speed and mix until combined. Beat in the egg on low and mix until well incorporated.
- Stir in the flour mixture until well combined.
- Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C) and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into 8 (75-gram) balls and place the remaining 1/4 cup (43 grams) of chocolate chips on the top and on the sides of the dough balls. You can also roll them into smaller balls but then you need to adjust the baking time.
- Place 3″ apart on the prepared baking sheet. Press the cookies down lightly with the palm of your hand. 20 minutes or until firmer, like softened butter. If you use slightly melted coconut oil, the dough will be greasy and the chocolate chips will be hard to incorporate.)
- Bake for 11-14 minutes (if using coconut sugar) or 14-17 minutes (if using brown sugar) or until the surface of the center of the cookies no longer appears wet. They will be very soft but will continue to cook as they sit on the cookie sheet.
- Let cool completely on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Recipe adapted from here.
Healthy Protein Cookie Dough
•3/4 scoop Vanilla protein powder (IsaLean)
•2 T peanut or nut butter,
•1 T almond or coconut milk
•1 T dark chocolate chips
Instructions are simple!
- Mix until you get a dough like consistency.
Recipes curated by MOXIE Dietitic Intern, Alyssa R. Herrington